Gallery paintings brought out of storage

Words and photos by Dave Barry

The displays at Scarborough Art Gallery have had a rejig.

A wide range of works has been brought out of storage -  many have not been on public view for many years.

Several recent acquisitions have been displayed for the first time, including Pat Douthwaite's Whitby.

Since the beginning of the year, the Scarborough Museums Trust exhibitions team has been working hard to change the displays, mixing traditional pieces with contemporary works.

The first floor is now home to the trust’s permanent collection, while the ground floor houses two temporary exhibition galleries and the collection of Tom Laughton.

Treasures from the collection, such as works by John Atkinson-Grimshaw, Henrietta Rae, Thomas Gainsborough and Robert Ernest Roe, have been put in different rooms.

The trust’s collections manager, Jennifer Dunne, is pictured with two of the oil paintings now on display on the first floor.

The first, painted by an unknown artist in about 1745, shows a Major Tindall.

It is probably not the same Major Tindall who was commander of the Holmes battery at the foot of the castle, as it was built about 50 years later.

The Tindalls were well known in the town. It is thought that John Tindall was an officer stationed at the castle during the civil war of the 1640s. He married a shipbuilder’s daughter and the Tindalls became shipbuilders for hundreds of years.

By the 1800s, the Tindalls had become one of the town’s most influential banking families.

The second, executed in 1857, is a painting of a painter. The artist is George Green (1811-93), a talented portrait painter from Cottingham, who studied art at the Royal Academy schools.

The subject is London-born Henry Barlow Carter (1804-68), was a watercolourist who came from a family of “merchants, builders, seafarers, artists and scholars”, according to his biographer, Professor Gordon Bell.

He established himself as an artist when he exhibited at the Royal Academy and Royal Society of British Artists.

He settled in Scarborough in the 1830s, producing coastal scenes around the borough, many of which are in the trust's collection.